Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Place for an Egg

Design a place for an egg that celebrates a quality of the egg, using only paper.

I really appreciate the originality of our assignments, especially this one. This was the first project we were assigned and needless to say it was the most challenging so far. No glue or adhesive was allowed on this assignment and working with paper is challenging when you are trying to make it fit together and hold, while still maintaining a well crafted object. My original projects used white paper with pops of color in the pillars around the egg such as red. I strove for a more natural look with another prototype by making the pillars into leaf shapes. I think this took away from the juxtaposition of the 'space age' shapes against the natural egg. Using white in the end for all of the paper made the project clean and made it seem lighter and gave a crisp contrast against the brown egg.

I focused on celebrating the delicacy and shape of the egg. The curve in the paper mimics the curve of the egg. Having the egg float in the air and almost touch the two pillars on each side but not quite reaching either one makes it precarious and shows off its delicacy. The very bottom picture I took because it was suggested that the curls at the bottom were unnecessary. I personally enjoy the curls and think they enhance the shape of the egg. They also are necessary for support, otherwise the project would lean to one side.




I really wish I kept my original prototypes for this project. I hated them at first, but during critique I realized how unique and interesting my design was. It reminded me of a space ship, and the final prototype still does, just not as strongly.

1 comment:

Liz Brown said...

Great photos! The shadows look awesome. It's amazing how your project looks great in person and how the curves and spaces are really highlighted even more when photographed. I loved your project, I think it has a nice proportional form and the spacing between layers is well thought out.