Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Pencil Box

Design a place for your pencils using only mat board and paper.

I had a lot of fun with this project. I was very low on cash and decided to use newspaper instead of buying paper like I usually have to do. The newspaper was hard to work with at first but once I got the hang of it I really liked the outcome. Consciously placing the words and images on the newspaper was fun too because I got to decide what my box was going to be about. Making a sturdy, well crafted box was difficult at first, and making many iterations really helped me. I tried different methods of joining the sides and the lid. My first iteration was the gray box that looked like it could hold shoes better than pencils. I divided the inside into sections though so it really did hold pencils quite well. Although my first iteration was extremely sturdy, it wasn't crafted as well as I would like and the size wasn't quite right. I scaled down the size for my second iteration and experimented with paint and newspaper. I liked the size of the box and the newspaper, but the paint was messy and didn't give clean enough lines. My final iteration I am very pleased with and I use my box everyday. I think I did pretty well on this project because it is functional and is aesthetically pleasing.

Final Box


_________________________________________________

First Iterations

1 comment:

Sarah Ladd said...

Love the "skyscraper" photo. What made you decide on the Kick Ass design? I like it! Also like the photo of you.