Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Design + Zine = Dezine!

What is a zine? Why it's a mini magazine. Dictionary.com puts it in more specific terms though.

zine also 'zine (zēn)
n. An inexpensively produced, self-published, underground publication



For this project we were to create a 'zine' for design. I picked 10 objects from design magazines that I was interested in and commented on them. Researching this project was so much fun. I sat in the library here at the studio for hours with Missy just looking at amazing design magazines, sitting on designer couches, dreaming about owning/ designing the same types of things one day. I spent a lot of time on the commentary of the objects and not as much time as I wanted to on the actual making of the zine. This is probably why the images are slightly crooked. Although there is room for some improvement, I think that the craft overall is nicely executed. The cover of the booklet was a nightmare to make. I was trying to print an irregular shaped piece of paper and get the title in the correct place. This is why the bottom of the title is cut off. I think that it could be considered an artistic touch however and that is why I left it (also the fact that I had to go to class). There were a lot of technical issues that were frustrating while making the zine but in the end I think it turned out nicely.

1 comment:

suzanne cabrera said...

Great analysis within your zine. I appreciate how you not only described the different products, but also thought about the way they would be used.

Additionally, the subject matter lent itself well to the square format of the book. Nice decision.

In the future, try to focus more on your craft. Unfortunately, the jagged and slanted edges surrounding the images you pasted into your zine take away from the overall impact. The same goes for the cover. I like the images at the bottom, but the text that is cut off at the top confuses me. Was this intentional or an accident?